Athens Borough fire displaces two families
ATHENS BOROUGH - Two families were able to escape a Friday morning fire at their North Main Street residence.
The Athens Borough Fire Department was dispatched at about 4:26 a.m. Friday to 411 N. Main St., near the intersection of Main and Pine streets, for a working structure fire.
The department received assistance from the Sayre Borough Fire Department, the Athens Township Volunteer Fire Company, the Ulster-Sheshequin Fire Association and cover-up assistance from the Towanda Borough Fire Department. The departments returned into service at around 9 a.m. Friday.
The Bradford/Sullivan chapter of the American Red Cross provided water, ice and breakfast to about 60 first responders and is also assisting the families displaced by the fire, according to information from the Red Cross.
The organization provided one family, consisting of three adults and one infant, with food, lodging, clothing, shoes, infant supplies and a crib. The other family - two adults and one child - received food, lodging, clothing, shoes and transportation, according to the Red Cross.
Amanda Renko can be reached at (570) 888-9652; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.