Blaze occurs at Barefoot Pellet in Troy Twp.: One worker reportedly suffers smoke inhalation
TROY TWP. - Fire broke out shortly after 6:30 p.m. Thursday in a dry storage shed at Barefoot Pellet Company on Route 14 in Troy Township.
One worker who suffered smoke inhalation was transported to Troy Community Hospital by Western Alliance Emergency Services, an employee with the ambulance service said.
When asked for comment, owner Roy Cummings said he believed that a malfunction occurred in a front end loader, catching sawdust in the storage shed on fire.
Firefighters were busy Thursday evening wetting down the large piles of sawdust in the cavernous, open-ended building. It was also being hauled out by heavy equipment and placed outside.
Kalpesh Thakar, the manager of the Troy Motel across the road, took some photos of the raging fire, prior to the arrival of firefighters. He noticed the fire while working at the front desk in the motel.
He said it was a scary scene, with lots of black smoke. His photos show a mass of orange flames raging inside the storage shed.
Bradford County Fire Wire shows the time of the call at 6:34 p.m.
The Troy Volunteer Department responded to the scene, assisted by several others, including the Canton and Smithfield Township volunteer fire departments.
The company's website has the following description of the business: "Located in the scenic Endless Mountains of Troy, Pennsylvania, Barefoot Pellet Company manufactures some of the highest quality wood pellets in the industry. Having other family owned companies in the dimension lumber business since 1929 and the hardwood flooring business since 2001, making wood pellets from our hardwood sawdust and waste material was a logical step."
Eric Hrin can be reached at (570) 297-5251; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.