Someone burning trash accidentally started a brush fire over the weekend that burned 110 acres in Colley Township, Sullivan County, a Mildred fire official said.

The Mildred Fire Company was called at 12:45 p.m. Sunday to respond to the fire at 395 Santee Lane, a cabin which is the last residence on Santee Lane, Mildred First Assistant Fire Chief Ed Fitzgerald said. Santee Lane is located off of Dutch Mountain Road.

"The fire was located in a big timbered out area that had a lot of heavy undergrowth," Fitzgerald said in a press release that he issued about the fire. "At times, the flames of five to seven feet would push fire crews off the lines."

Wind gusts of up to 20 m.p.h., warm temperatures and low humidity set the stage for the fire, he said.

The fire was fought with 80 fire and support people from Bradford, Lycoming, Wyoming and Sullivan counties, he said.

"Fire and support crew left the scene around 11 p.m.," Fitzgerald wrote in the press release. "The fire burned around 110 acres before it was brought under control."

Due to the dry, windy conditions, the person shouldn't have been burning trash in the first place, Fitzgerald said.

The Deer Park Lumber Co. owns the land where the fire occurred, but the company was not responsible for the fire, Fitzgerald said. Deer Park Lumber leases the land in the area to other individuals, he said.

Fitzgerald declined to provide more specific information about the identity of the person who was burning the trash.

He said there is a state gamelands in the area, but said he didn't think the fire reached the gamelands.

There were no structures affected by the fire, and no one was injured, Fitzgerald said.

James Loewenstein can be reached at (570) 265-1633; or email: jloewenstein@thedailyreview.com.