Tioga General Hospital demolition begins in Waverly
WAVERLY - A landmark on North Chemung Street in Waverly for over 80 years, the former Tioga General Hospital building will soon be gone.
Demolition has begun on the structure that served for half a century as Waverly's own independent community hospital. It won't be a spectacular implosion like Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia, however, because the old building is connected to the modern Elderwood Health Care nursing facility next door.
Much work will be needed to sever the new building from the old, according to Maria Landy, executive director of Elderwood in Waverly. Once the buildings are separated the pace will pick up, Landy said, with the whole process taking about a month.
According to the Sayre Historical Society's "Postcard History of Sayre," the Tioga General building was first occupied in 1930 by the former People's Hospital, which had outgrown its original site in Sayre.
As the health care system changed late in the 20th Century, Guthrie acquired the Tioga General and expanded it as a nursing facility until it was sold to Elderwood. According to Landy, Elderwood made the building available to the Waverly-Barton Fire District for the training of first responders in 2010. After its service in that capacity was completed, steps began toward tearing it down.
Most of the bricks will be crushed on site and used to fill in the ground, Landy explained, and the location will be maintained as green space for Elderwood's residents, staff, and the community.
Al Robinson can be reached at (570) 888-9652; or e-mail email@example.com.