Canton resident seeks reinstatement of marching band; makes $2,000 donation
The Canton Area School Board recently heard from a district resident seeking to get the marching band back.
According to the unofficial meeting minutes, Frank Watson, a resident, spoke to the board and requested that school directors consider reinstating the marching band.
The minutes note that Watson said he was "well aware of budget constraints but challenged local industry to donate funds to help defray the cost or cover the cost."
He then presented the board with a check for $2,000 from him and his wife, Glenda, owners of WD Hot Block LLC, as their donation, according to the minutes.
District Superintendent Matt Gordon thanked Watson and "reminded him that the lack of a marching band was not due to financial curtailment but due to lack of student participation," the minutes note.
According to the minutes, the board also:
- accepted the Lawn Care Agreement between Canton Area School District and T&T Lawn Mowing, Inc. effective April 1, 2013 through March 31, 2016
- approved the Athletic Training Services Agreement between Canton Area School District and Susquehanna Health System Sports Medicine Center effective August, 2013 through June 30, 2014
- approved the proposed 2013/2014 General Operations Budget for IU 17
- approved the following additions to the substitute list, pending completion of all paperwork: Stacy Falkowski, special education teacher; Erin Dietrick, music teacher; Stephanie Calkins, custodian; Edna Cassel, custodian, cafeteria and paraprofessional; Shirley Bentley, van driver; and Harry Brokaw, van driver
- approved the following additions to the volunteer list, pending completion of all paperwork: Dave Machmer, Football; Lee Preston, Wrestling, retroactive to February 2013
- approved the following FMLA requests: Joanne Laverty, elementary guidance counselor, for up to eight weeks beginning Feb, 1, 2013, and Maryann Mannick, high school business teacher, beginning March 22, 2013 through approximately April 4, 2013
- approved the second reading of the following new/revised policies: No. 610 - Finances (revised); No. 806 - Child/Student Abuse (revised); and No. 818 - Contracted Services (revised)
- approved the first reading of the following new/revised policies: No. 339 - Uncompensated Leave (revised); No. 439 - Uncompensated Leave (revised); and No. 818 - Uncompensated Leave (revised)
- approved the Canton Junior-Senior High School and Canton Elementary School Library Reports for the second quarter 2012/2013
- accepted the reviewed and updated Comprehensive Emergency Operations Plan, Emergency Operations Basic Plan, and Emergency Operations Plan Checklists
- approved the Agricultural Occupational and Local Advisory Committee agenda and minutes dated February 12, 2013
- approved the proposed 2013/2014 School Calendar
According to the meeting minutes, an executive session was held prior to the board meeting, at 6 p.m., to discuss negotiations and personnel matters.