Canton School Board takes personnel action
CANTON - The Canton Area School Board approved several personnel matters at its last meeting.
The board approved the following resignations/retirements effective immediately: Brandy Heatley, assistant softball coach; Keri Holland, JV girls basketball coach; Kathy Coleman, junior high girls basketball coach; Guy Kapichok, JV football coach; Wayne Pratt, head softball coach; and Marilyn Gilbert, food service worker.
Board president Jared Wilcox wished Gilbert a happy retirement, noting she had served the district well for a long time.
In addition, the board approved the addition of Janet Walburn, teacher, to the substitute list, pending completion of all paperwork.
The board approve the following additions to the volunteer list, pending completion of all paperwork: Melissa Proseus, cross country coach; Steve Williams, cross country coach; Eddie Larcom, football coach; and Janet Walburn, classroom
Also, the board approved several new employees, pending completion of all required paperwork:
- Lori Ayres, part-time, five hours/day food service worker, at $7.25 per hour, no benefits;
- Miguel Arrieta, full-time custodian, at $9 per hour, with benefits;
- Kathleen Shedden, sixth grade math teacher, at $47,607, step 1, with benefits, effective Aug. 19;
- Courtney Grieve, elementary art teacher, at $50,407, step 1, with benefits, effective Aug. 19;
- David Cochran, JV football coach, effective immediately;
- Billie Matthews, band front advisor, effective immediately.
The board approved the FMLA request from Cynthia Mitstifer, elementary teacher, beginning at the start of the 2013-14 school year through Sept. 13, with the option to extend if needed.
It was noted that two professional personnel, Joseph Hollett and Danielle Gallagher, have attained tenure at Canton Area School District.
Eric Hrin can be reached at (570) 297-5251; email: firstname.lastname@example.org.