Charges against Sayre man withdrawn
Charges against a Sayre man accused of several vehicle thefts in the borough were withdrawn in district court Tuesday.
Charles Bacon Jr., 29, had been charged with possessing a firearm while prohibited to do so, first-degree misdemeanor theft by unlawful taking and second-degree misdemeanor theft by unlawful taking. The charges were withdrawn Tuesday, the day Bacon had been scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing before Magisterial District Judge Michael Shaw, according to information filed with the court.
A third-degree felony theft by unlawful taking charge was filed against Bacon Tuesday, according to court information. Bacon waived his preliminary hearing for the charge, and a formal arraignment in county court is scheduled for Jan. 31. Bail for the new charge was set at $25,000, according to court information.
Sayre borough police initially filed charges against Bacon following a Dec. 4 search of his residence, according to a criminal complaint filed with Shaw's office by borough police.
According to the complaint, police accused Bacon of removing $1,000 in cash and ten checks from a vehicle parked in the borough. Police said Bacon also removed a purse and credit card from another person's possession. Both incidents occurred on or around Nov. 22, police said.
The search of Bacon's residence turned up several items believed to be stolen from numerous vehicles in Sayre between May and Dec. 2012, police said. People interviewed during the investigation told police that Bacon and an accomplice removed cash, GPS navigation units, clothes and electronics from several vehicles, with a third person selling the stolen items in exchange for cash, according to police.
Following his arraignment, Bacon was remanded to the Bradford County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.
Amanda Renko can be reached at (570) 888-9652; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.