Disabled Philly man trapped in burning home, dies
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Fire officials say a Philadelphia man who had lost both his legs died in a house fire after he became trapped as his wife ran for help — but the door locked behind her.
The blaze broke out at a home in the city's Feltonville neighborhood around 4:15 a.m. Tuesday. Investigators say the man, who used a wheelchair, was downstairs when a space heater being used to heat the house caught fire.
Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers says the man's wife came downstairs and ran outside to call for help, but the door locked behind her.
Ayers says crews arrived and broke down the fright door. Inside, they found the man's body with the wheelchair nearby.
Officials say the victim, whose name hasn't been released, had lost his legs to diabetes.