Donations sought for fire victims
Help is being sought for a family whose Towanda Borough residence was destroyed by fire late Friday night, claiming the life of a 2-year-old boy.
Donation cans were placed at Serpico's Pizza and Advanced Auto on Sunday in Wysox according to a family friend, Danielle Lutz. She said there would also be one at Who Knew Consignments in Wyalusing.
The boy, identified by Bradford County coroner Thomas Carman as John David Yoder III, died in the fire at the North Fourth Street residence. Yoder was located in his bedroom and was unable to be removed from the residence, Carman said.
"I just think it's completely heartbreaking, it's horrendous," Lutz said. "I was completely shocked when I heard it."
Yoder's cause of death was determined to be smoke inhalation, with further toxicology and carbon monoxide studies to be performed, Carman said.
Yoder's father, mother and a sibling were also home at the time of the fire, which emergency responders were dispatched to at about 11:30 p.m. Friday, said Bill Roof, chief of the Towanda Fire Department. No information was available Sunday regarding the cause of the fire.
The family members were able to escape and transported to Towanda Memorial Hospital, where they were treated for injuries of unknown severity.
Lutz said a spaghetti dinner benefit is also planned.
She said the family is in need of clothes, baby diapers, and baby formula. She said girls clothes size 12, boy clothes size 8, and baby clothes size 12 months are needed. For the mother, clothes - pants size 1 or 3 and size small shirts - are needed and for the father, pants 30 waist, 32 length, and size large shirts are needed.
To make a donation, call Serpicio's at (570) 268-6004 or Lutz at 637-9016.