MANSFIELD - Freddie Coleman, ESPN Radio host and a 1987 Mansfield graduate, will be the speaker at Mansfield University's Commencement at 11 a.m. on Saturday, May 18, in Decker Gymnasium.

"Freddie Coleman is a true Mansfield success story and great supporter of his alma mater," Interim MU President Allan Golden said in making the announcement.

His story of perseverance, dedication and success is the kind that we want to share with our newest graduates. We are honored to have him speak at our Commencement."

Coleman joined ESPN Radio in June 2004 and hosts shows that are carried by more than 350 affiliates nationwide. He is the host of SportsCenter Tonight on weeknights and the Freddie Coleman Show on weekends. During football season he is also the host of College Football Tonight on Saturdays and The NFL on ESPN Radio on Sundays.

Coleman was a standout football player for the Mountaineers in the mid-1980s, earning All-Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) honors at wide receiver in 1986. Off the field, he was sports editor for the campus newspaper, The Flashlight, and was also a member of the campus radio station, WNTE-FM. Coleman graduated with a BA in Mass Communications in 1987.

Coleman has returned to Mansfield frequently since graduating, most recently in October 2011 when he came back to speak with Communication Department students and MU student-athletes. In April 2006, he was the keynote speaker at the Frank Butsko Football Breakfast.

Prior to joining ESPN, Coleman worked in radio and television in Albany and Poughkeepsie, N.Y. and New York City, among other places. He is a member of the Football and Basketball Writers Association of America and the National Association of Black Journalists.

Coleman is a native of Brooklyn, N.Y. and now resides in Connecticut with his wife, Denise.

Submitted article