Today is Monday, Feb. 25, the 56th day of 2013. There are 309 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight n History:

On Feb. 25, 1913, the 16th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, giving Congress the power to levy and collect income taxes, was declared in effect by Secretary of State Philander Chase Knox.

Glancing Backward Locally:

25 years ago - 1988

New state requirements calling for landfills to have two liners will result in higher garbage rates to customers, but exactly when these higher costs will need to be imposed locally and by how much rates will climb aren't known at this time, David Terrill, executive director of the Northern Tier Solid Waste Authority said.

The Bradford County Commissioners yesterday voted their unanimous approval of a grant application for a Child Abuse Family Services Grant.

Nadine Brinton of Granville Summit and Carolyn Russell of Rome are the award winners in the Bradford County Conservation District's Conservation Poster Contest.

50 years ago - 1963

Named winners in the 1963 Betty Crocker Search for the American Homemaker of Tomorrow are Grace Charlene Rowe of Northeast Bradford High School, and Lauralea Burlingame of SRU High School.

Celebrating his birthday today is Terry Keeney of the Air Force, son of Mrs. Marie Keeney of Sugar Run.

Tomorrow has been set aside as the date of the BSCAA All-Star games, which will take place at Towanda. Robert Moyer, a senior, and James Black, a junior, have been chosen to represent Sullivan County High School.

75 years ago - 1938

Celebrating his birthday today is Howard Meredith, manager of the Meredith Bottling Works in Towanda.

"Oriole," student publication of Towanda High School, yesterday was invited to participate in the fifth annual Lehigh Scholastic Press Conference to be held in May.

Waverly Fire Police will hold a "Frolic" tonight from 8 p.m. to midnight at the Moose Home in Waverly. There will be both round and square dancing. Don Tracey will be in charge. The public is invited.

Elsewhere on this date:

Ten years ago: Chief U.N. weapons inspector Hans Blix said Iraq was showing new signs of real cooperation, but President George W. Bush was dismissive, predicting Saddam Hussein would try to "fool the world one more time." Roh Moo-hyun became South Korea's new president.

Five years ago: An Associated Press photograph of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama wearing traditional local garb during a 2006 visit to Kenya began circulating on the Internet. The New York Philharmonic arrived in North Korea to perform a concert, the same day Lee Myung-bak was sworn in as South Korea's first conservative president in a decade.

One year ago: A gunman killed two American military advisers with shots to the back of the head inside Afghanistan's heavily guarded Interior Ministry as protests raged for a fifth day over the burning of Qurans at a U.S. army base. Lynn D. "Buck" Compton, 90, a veteran whose World War II exploits were depicted in the television miniseries "Band of Brothers," died in Burlington, Wash.

Today's Birthdays: Country singer Ralph Stanley is 86. Actor Tom Courtenay is 76. CBS newsman Bob Schieffer is 76. Actress Diane Baker is 75. Actress Karen Grassle is 71. Humorist Jack Handey is 64. Movie director Neil Jordan is 63. Rock musician Dennis Diken (The Smithereens) is 56. Rock singer-musician Mike Peters (The Alarm) is 54. Actress Veronica Webb is 48. Actor Alexis Denisof is 47. Actress Tea (TAY'-ah) Leoni is 47. Comedian Carrot Top is 46. Actress Lesley Boone is 45. Actor Sean Astin is 42. Singer Daniel Powter is 42. Latin singer Julio Iglesias Jr. is 40. Rhythm-and-blues singer Justin Jeffre is 40. Rock musician Richard Liles is 40. Actor Anson Mount is 40. Comedian-actress Chelsea Handler is 38. Actress Rashida Jones is 37. Actor Justin Berfield is 27. Actors James and Oliver Phelps ("Harry Potter" movies) are 27. Rock musician Erik Haager (Carolina Liar) is 26.

Thought for Today: "If people behaved in the way nations do they would all be put in straitjackets." - Tennessee Williams (1911-1983).