Today is Friday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2013. There are 123 days left in the year.

Today's Highlight in History:

On August 30, 1983, Guion S. Bluford Jr. became the first black American astronaut to travel in space as he blasted off aboard the Challenger.

Glancing Backward Locally:

25 years ago - 1988

Sayre residents voiced their opinion over the zoning change proposed for the First Church of God property at a public hearing held by the Sayre Council.

The Daily Review's Scott Miller was seen chasing his car on lower Bridge Street recently as it decided to take off without a driver.

"The Oriole," Towanda High's school newspaper is back in publication after an absence of many years.

50 years ago - 1963

Richard Snell, Towanda postmaster, announced that a bright new 50-star flag was to be flying from a bright new 45-foot aluminum pole located in the Towanda post office front lawn.

Jack Crayton of California spent part of his vacation with Mr. and Mrs. Jack Stevens, Macedonia.

The Canton High School football squad held a practice session at Camp Brule. Coach Miller Moyer said this was the first time the team has practiced away from its own field and the week-long stay at Camp Brule was made possible through the efforts of the Canton Booster Club.

75 years ago - 1938

Donald Allen of Towanda, RD 2, aged 18, was a patient at the Robert Packer Hospital with a fractured right ankle. Donald suffered his injury when a horse fell on his ankle, snapping it.

Seretta Corl, Milan RD 1, suffered a fractured leg when she fell off a ladder at her home.

A reorganization meeting of the Young Republicans of Bradford County was held at the S.C.I. Community Center, at which time it hoped to form a militant group for service in the coming campaign.

Elsewhere on this date:

In 1987, a redesigned space shuttle booster, created in the wake of the Challenger disaster, roared into life in its first full-scale test-firing near Brigham City, Utah.

In 1991, Azerbaijan (ah-zur-by-JAHN') declared its independence, joining the stampede of republics seeking to secede from the Soviet Union.

In 1997, Americans received word of the car crash in Paris that claimed the lives of Princess Diana, Dodi Fayed and their driver, Henri Paul. (Because of the time difference, it was Aug. 31 where the crash occurred.)

Ten years ago: A Russian submarine being towed to a scrap yard sank in a gale in the Barents Sea, killing nine of the 10-member crew. The World Trade Organization agreed to let impoverished nations import cheaper copies of patented medicines needed to fight killer diseases. Actor Charles Bronson, 81, died in Los Angeles. Inventor Robert Abplanalp, confidant of President Richard Nixon, died in Bronxville, N.Y., at age 81.

Five years ago: Hurricane Gustav slammed into Cuba as a monstrous Category 4 storm, damaging 100,000 homes and causing billions of dollars in damage, but no reported fatalities. Pro wrestling pioneer Walter "Killer" Kowalski died in Everett, Mass., at age 81.

One year ago: Mitt Romney launched his fall campaign for the White House with a rousing, remarkably personal speech to the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., proclaiming that America needs "jobs, lots of jobs." Earlier in the evening, actor-director Clint Eastwood offered an endorsement of Romney that entailed using an empty chair to represent President Barack Obama. The Justice Department announced it had ended its investigation into CIA interrogations of terrorist detainees without bringing criminal charges. Twin satellites were launched by NASA on a quest to explore Earth's treacherous radiation belts and protect the planet from solar outbursts.

Today's Birthdays: Actor Bill Daily is 86. Actress Elizabeth Ashley is 74. Actor Ben Jones is 72. Cartoonist R. Crumb is 70. Olympic gold medal skier Jean-Claude Killy is 70. Actress Peggy Lipton is 66. Comedian Lewis Black is 65. Actor Timothy Bottoms is 62. Actor David Paymer is 59. Jazz musician Gerald Albright is 56. Actor Michael Chiklis is 50. Music producer Robert Clivilles is 49. Actress Michael Michele is 47. Country musician Geoff Firebaugh is 45.

Country singer Sherrie Austin is 42. Rock singer-musician Lars Frederiksen (Rancid) is 42. Actress Cameron Diaz is 41. Rock musician Leon Caffrey (Space) is 40. TV personality Lisa Ling is 40. Rock singer-musician Aaron Barrett (Reel Big Fish) is 39. Actor Michael Gladis is 36. Rock musician Matt Taul (Tantric; Days of the New) is 35. Tennis player Andy Roddick is 31. Rock musician Ryan Ross is 27. Actor Cameron Finley is 26.

Thought for Today: "My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not." - Proverbs 1:10.