OVERTON TOWNSHIP - An Overton Township man, apparently fatally shot, was discovered Monday night lying lifeless inside his residence, with the door to the home wide open, according to one of the neighbors who found the body.

The dead man, who has been identified by the state police as 50-year-old Harry B. Mitchell of Overton Township, was the victim of a homicide, the state police said in a press release that they issued late Tuesday afternoon.

David Meyers, one of two neighbors who found Mitchell's body, said he is "devastated" by Mitchell's death.

Meyers said he met Mitchell less than two years ago, shortly after Mitchell moved into Mitchell's current residence, which is a 1 1/2 story home on Lake View Lane, located off Morris Road in Overton Township.

The two became close friends, Meyers said.

"He (Mitchell) would bend over backwards to do anything for you," Meyers said. "He didn't do drugs. He didn't drink. He was a straight-up guy."

Mitchell had lived in New Jersey in the past, and had moved from there to Monroeton before moving again to Overton Township, according to Meyers.

Mitchell had been laid off about a half year ago from his job at the HWR water company, a company in the gas industry that had seen a reduction in its business, Meyers said.

However, Mitchell remained active, doing mechanical work on cars and other vehicles for a neighbor, Chris Schlossinger, who owns C&S Recycling, according to Meyers.

Meyers said that the last time anyone saw Mitchell was when Mitchell came to Meyers' house Sunday afternoon, where Meyers and his girlfriend live, for a visit.

During the visit, Mitchell said he either going to go to New Jersey for Christmas, where his wife currently lives and works, or else Mitchell's wife, Dorothy, was going to come to Overton Township for a Christmas visit, according to Meyers.

On Sunday night, around 10:20 p.m., Schlossinger heard a gunshot, Meyers said.

Meyers and Schlossinger decided to check on Mitchell's welfare after not seeing him the next day. Normally, Meyers and Schlossinger would have seen Mitchell several times a day, according to Meyers.

Meyers said he and Schlossinger found Mitchell, not breathing, in his residence, with the door wide open.

In their press release, the state police said the last time that Mitchell was seen alive was at approximately 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Mitchell's body was discovered at his residence at approximately 9:30 p.m. Monday, the state police said in their press release.

No further information was available from the state police on Wednesday.

Bradford County Coroner Tom Carman said an autopsy is scheduled to be performed on Mitchell on Friday at Lourdes Hospital in Binghamton, N.Y.

He said he pronounced Mitchell dead at 11:58 p.m. on Monday at his residence.

Carman declined to release further information about the case because it could hurt the investigation.

The state police at Towanda are asking that anyone with any information about the homicide to call them at (570) 265-2186.

James Loewenstein can be reached at (570) 265-1633; or email: jloewenstein@thedailyreview.com.