A former Athens Area High School student was incarcerated Wednesday in the Bradford County Jail after concerns he had planned to carry out an act of violence caused the school to initiate lockdown procedures earlier in the week.

Athens Borough police charged Quay B. Jones, 18, with making terroristic threats causing serious public inconvenience, a third-degree felony, according to a criminal affidavit filed by borough police with Magisterial District Judge Michael Shaw's office.

Jones was arraigned Wednesday by Magisterial District Judge Timothy Clark and remanded to the county jail in lieu of $50,000 bail. Jones is scheduled to appear April 2 before Judge Shaw for a preliminary hearing.

Police were alerted by a high school official Sunday night that teachers and students were concerned that Jones had possibly devised a plan to carry out an act of violence at the school, according to police. Posts on Jones' Facebook page had caused a student to become alarmed and frightened, police said.

Upon accessing Jones' page, officers found several posts related to death and dying and a post made on Sunday, March 24 that said "Monday… Athens shall cower in the presence of Quayferd," according to police.

A juvenile that had been in contact with Jones later told police that Jones, who was expelled during the 2012 school year, planned to return to the school Monday, March 25, police said.

Jones also communicated with a juvenile male on the website about returning to the school on that date and made plans to meet in the school's courtyard, located in the middle of the building adjacent to the cafeteria, according to police.

Police said an officer contacted Jones' mother, who told police that he had moved out of her Ulster residence two weeks prior to the incident and had frequently been using controlled substances to her knowledge. Jones' mother also told police that Jones has attempted suicide in the past, police said.

After receiving permission from county mental health officials to place Jones in involuntary commitment, officers located Jones in a vehicle traveling north on South Elmira Street and took him into custody under the Mental Health Act, according to police. Police then transported Jones to Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre for a mental health evaluation, police said.

Jones told police that he was upset with an ex-girlfriend who attends the school and admitted to having attempted suicide previously, police said.

School officials initiated the school's security plan on Monday because they didn't know what plan Jones had developed and if other students were involved, police said.

The school underwent lockdown status on Monday, and additional borough police officers assisted with security at the school during the procedure, police said. Police also examined the interior and exterior of the school prior to the start of classes Monday, according to police.

School district officials addressed the incident at Tuesday's meeting of the Athens Area School District board of education.

No details were given regarding the nature of the incident. However, officials said the school implemented its security plan, which administrators recently reviewed following the Dec. 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

Board member Jim Priester praised the district's speed and competence in handling the incident during Tuesday's meeting. "We truly have a plan," he said.

Amanda Renko can be reached at (570) 888-9652; or email: arenko@thedailyreview.com.