A man sought in Bradford County for failing to appear at his April sentencing was shot and killed over the weekend in Oklahoma, according to the state Bureau of Investigation.

David A. Maher, 30, was shot Saturday by an Oklahoma Department of Parks and Recreation park ranger when he reportedly attempted to run over the ranger at McGree State Park in Atoka County, Okla., according to a release from the bureau.

Maher was last known to live with his parents in Waverly, said Bradford County District Attorney Daniel Barrett.

A bench warrant for Maher was issued in April after he failed to appear for his sentencing in the county Court of Common Pleas, according to information filed in county court. Maher pleaded guilty in January to fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, a third-degree felony, and two counts of second-degree misdemeanor theft by deception in relation to a March 2012 police chase through Sayre Borough and into New York state.

The released from OSBI states that campers at the park reported Maher had been acting strangely and causing a disturbance there. Maher ran to his vehicle after a ranger approached him and attempted to run him over, according to the bureau.

The ranger shot at Maher and struck him at least once, according to the release. Maher was transported to the Atoka County Medical Center in Atoka, Okla., where he later died.

Sayre Borough police levied 17 charges against Maher following the March 23, 2012 chase, in which he led police through the borough into Waverly and Barton, N.Y. Charges included reckless endangerment, delivery of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance, aggravated assault, resisting arrest, escape, criminal use of a communication facility, unauthorized use of an automobile, theft by unlawful taking, flight to avoid apprehension and several traffic offenses, according to criminal affidavits filed by police in district court.

Police said Maher delivered about two grams of crack cocaine to a confidential informant at a North Elmer Avenue location March 23. As officers moved in on Maher, police said he pulled away in a black Volkswagen Jetta, swerving toward a police car and officers on foot. Police said Maher then passed several vehicles on North Elmer and North Keystone avenues and West Lockhart Street, reaching speeds in excess of 80 miles per hour, before crossing the New York state border into Waverly.

The chase continued onto state Route 17C in Barton until police called off the pursuit, police said.

Maher had also faced charges of delivery and possession of a controlled substance by Athens Township police. According to township police, Maher sold what he claimed was powder cocaine to a confidential informant in March 2012.

The charges pending in Bradford County against Maher will likely soon be dismissed due to his death, Barrett said.

Amanda Renko can be reached at (570) 888-9652; or email: arenko@thedailyreview.com.