A man arrested in August for threatening the lives of police officers, Robert Packer Hospital security and medical personnel was sentenced last week in county court.

Christopher Douglas Holmes, 42, was sentenced Dec. 20 to 15 to 36 months confinement for second-degree felony aggravated assault and one to 12 months confinement for third-degree misdemeanor disorderly conduct, according to information filed in the Bradford County Court of Common Pleas. The sentences will be consecutive, according to court information.

Holmes was also sentenced to pay $750 in total fines, according to court information.

Holmes, who police said was homeless at the time of his Aug. 26 arrest, had been incarcerated in the Bradford County Correctional Facility for 116 days prior to his sentencing, according to information filed with the court. President judge Jeffrey Smith denied a motion to lower Holmes' bail, which had been set at $20,000, following a Dec. 11 bail reduction hearing, according to court information.

Holmes had faced 56 total counts related to his threatening of hospital staff and law enforcement in the Robert Packer Hospital emergency wing, according to a criminal complaint filed with Magisterial District Judge Michael Shaw's office by Sayre borough police.

The charges included 11 counts each of aggravated assault, aggravated assault of officers in performance of duty, aggravated assault by physical menace, simple assault and terroristic threats and one count of disorderly conduct, police said. Holmes pled guilty Oct. 29 to the aggravated assault and disorderly conduct charges, according to court information.

Police said Holmes was barricaded in a room in the wing and swung around an IV pole, discharged the contents of an oxygen tank and threatened anyone who entered the room with it, police said. Holmes also inhaled oxygen from the tank and beat it against the door to the room, threatening to assault staff, police said.

Police were unable to use a stun gun on Holmes due to the increased oxygen levels inside the room, police said. Officers eventually restrained Holmes and hospital staff injected him with medication to sedate him, police said. Holmes was then taken to the hospital's intensive care unit, police said.

Amanda Renko can be reached at (570) 888-9652; or email: arenko@thedailyreview.com.