One man is confirmed dead after a Wednesday morning car accident at the intersection of Route 6 and Lynch Road in Burlington Township.

James C. Eicher Jr., 50, of Troy was pronounced dead at the scene by Bradford County Coroner Tom Carman shortly after authorities responded.

State police, North Towanda Fire Department, Towanda Fire Department and Memorial EMS responded to the scene of the accident at 10:26 a.m, police said.

Police said Eicher was traveling west on Route 6 in a line of traffic behind a water truck when he attempted to pass multiple vehicles in the eastbound lane in his orange 2003 Honda Element. At this time a gray 2010 Hyundai Elantra, driven by Harold Albert Moyer, 60, of Wyalusing, was travelling west on Route 6 and about to be overtaken by Eicher.

Moyer then attempted to make a left hand turn onto Lynch road. As he did, his vehicle crossed into the eastbound lane of travel and the two vehicles collided.

Eicher's Honda struck the driver's side of Moyer's Hyundai, then struck a guard rail and then became airborne, hitting a metal pole and tree branches before landing in a creek approximately 30 feet below the road.

Both the front and rear of Eicher's car were heavily damaged. The car came to rest on its driver's side in the creek.

The section of road where the accident occurred was marked by a dotted line, signifying that passing was legal on the two lane road.

Moyer was not injured in the accident, police said.

Emergency responders quickly secured Eicher's car in the river by tying bungee cord both to his car and a fire truck.

The rescue operation was a potentially dangerous one, according to Assistant Chief of the North Towanda Fire Department Gerald Sheets.

"We had the victim removed from the vehicle in the creek by about 1:30 p.m.," Sheets said. A combination of the hazard of running water, and the threat of heavy rainfall which would cause the creek to rise deemed the operation of retrieving the body a potentially difficult one.

"We finally got to the point when they said we could remove the body and we were able to get him out of there without problems before it started raining," Sheets concluded.

Route 6 traffic was reduced to one lane as authorities investigated the accident. The road was reopened to both lanes at 1:30 p.m.