Room Tax grants awarded in Bradford County
The Bradford County Room Tax Committee recently awarded monies to 21 grant applicants that requested funding through the county's hotel occupancy tax/room tax fund collected throughout the year.
Any non-profit organization in Bradford County is eligible to apply for the grant money to help finance a tourism-related project. The Endless Mountains Visitors Bureau is responsible for overseeing the grant program and distribution of room tax money by the county.
Each year, the Endless Mountains Visitors Bureau opens a grant round for each of the four counties it represents (Bradford, Sullivan, Susquehanna, and Wyoming). Non-profit organizations have until Sept. 25 to submit grant applications for that year. The grant awarding process then goes through several committees for approval until the final award is determined by the individual county's room tax committee.
The following is the list of projects that were awarded funding and the organization that applied for it through the 2009 Grant Round in Bradford County:
- Signs for Bradford County Parks (Bradford County Parks Committee)
- Brochures for Bradford County Parks (Bradford County Parks Committee)
- Bradford County Web site (Bradford County Tourism Committee)
- Bradford County Tourism Brochure (Bradford County Tourism Committee)
- Pa. Heritage Festival (Bradford County Heritage Association)
- Susquehanna River Water Trail signage (Endless Mountains Heritage Region)
- Pa. North Country Artisan Center and Store (Northern Tier Cultural Alliance)
- LeRoy Heritage Museum sign (LeRoy Heritage Museum)
- Sixth Annual Ag Heritage Day (Northern Tier Cultural Alliance)
- BCHS signage improvements (Bradford County Historical Society)
- Promotion of French Azilum Historic Site (French Azilum Inc.)
- Canton Twp./PA Apple & Cheese Festival sign (Rekindle the Spirit/Canton Twp.)
- Historic preservation of the Manley-Bohlayer Farmhouse (Rekindle the Spirit/Canton Twp.)
- Endless Mountains Antique Tractor & Machinery Show (Endless Mountains Antique Tractor & Machine Association)
- CopperTree rack cards (CopperTree Shop)
- Wyalusing Valley Wine Festival (Wyalusing Valley Museum Association Inc.)
- Northeast Pa. Wildlife education exhibit (Second Chance Wildlife Center)
- 29th Annual Endless Mountains Maple Festival (Alparon Community Park Inc.)
- 135th Annual Troy Fair (Troy Fair/Alparon Community Park Inc.)
- 2010 season brochure (Home Textile Tool Museum)
- Barn Quilt Tour brochure (Greater Wyalusing Chamber of Commerce)
The hotel occupancy tax is collected by lodging establishments from their overnight guests - as required by a state law - and is used to promote tourism in the Endless Mountains. A portion of the money received is given back to the individual counties to fund tourism projects through the room tax grant program.
Grant applications and program requirements are available through the Endless Mountains Visitors Bureau and may be obtained by calling the bureau at (570) 836-5431, e-mailing email@example.com, or by stopping by the office at 4 Werks Plaza, Route 6, Tunkhannock.
This article was submitted by the Endless Mountains Visitors Bureau.