"The Bridge" Receiving Donations, Open Extra Hours for Flood Relief
The Bridge of the Penn York Valley Churches, a long-time Valley wide Christian charity outreach, has set up a special fund to receive and administer flood relief donations. We will also be receiving donations of all kinds this Saturday at the Sayre Theater.
To make a donation, mail your check to:
P.O. Box 202
Sayre PA 18840
Please note "flood relief" in the memo section of your check. Your contributions are tax-deductible and you will receive a receipt for your donation. Call (570) 888-8826 for more information.
Note that The Bridge does not duplicate the efforts of other relief agencies. While the Red Cross, Salvation Army and FEMA provide "first response" assistance during the time that you are displaced from your home, the Bridge can assist you later on to return to your home.
The "Clothes Closet", our free clothing/ bedding ministry, will be open daily this week, from noon to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday; and Tuesday from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Come to the annex on the south end of the North Waverly Chapel. We are also encouraging donations of clean, quality clothing/ bedding/towels and kitchen items of all kinds during these hours.
The Bridge has procedures and processes in place to ensure that our funds are distributed appropriately to those most in need. To receive financial aid from The Bridge, clients must apply and provide basic information such as a drivers license. Any confirmed flood victim will be eligible, and can receive a voucher good for certain goods and/or services (our vouchers are honored by many utilities, landlords, and other suppliers in the Valley area). Our basic voucher limit is $300 per household, although exceptions can be made.
The Bridge has no paid staff and very low overhead. Virtually 100 percent of your donation will go to someone in need, located within our service area. If you have nothing else to donate, please consider volunteering!
The five major ministries of the Bridge include:
- Clearinghouse. Provides vouchers for purchase or payment of needed goods & services.
- Clothes Closet. A well-organized marketplace of clean usable clothes and accessories located at North Waverly Chapel.
- Helping Hands. Charlie and his team go out every day to pick up and deliver donated furniture and bedding.
- Kids At Risk. We work anonymously within the schools to ensure that every child has the clothes and supplies that they need to be successful and dignified.
- Mobile Food Pantry. Every third Wednesday, a generous allotment of quality food can be received at the Waverly Presbyterian Church (from 1 to 2:30 p.m.).
The Bridge is a cooperative effort of 36 Valley churches. It is strictly limited to the school districts of Athens, Sayre and Waverly. The Bridge does not discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, or religion.
For more information, call our Clearinghouse at (570) 888-8826 during the hours of 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Thursday.