Two seek supervisor spot in Monroe Twp. Vernon Perry
Name: Vernon Perry III
Address: 85 Ednas Rd., Monroeton, PA 18832
Office sought: Monroe Township supervisor
Political party: Republican
Education: Associate Degree, University of Phoenix
1. Why are you seeking the office?
To continue serving my community and maintain fiscal responsibility for the benefit of all its citizens.
2. What are your credentials for being an effective representative?
Twenty-plus years working with the public as a wildlife conservation officer, also over 30 years serving in the United States Army Reserve, currently assigned as a command sergeant major. Both careers have given me skills that can help the citizens of this township.
3. If you are the incumbent, what have you done to deserve re-election?
4. If you are a challenger, what have you done to prepare for holding the office?
I have spoken with many township residents, listened to their concerns and issues. I continue to plan for the road ahead to maximize revenue. I have met with other township officials here in Monroe Township as well as neighboring townships to discuss similar operations, along with working with county and state officials.
5. What are the top three issues as you see them and what would you do about them?
Accountability of Budget: Maintain visibility of all areas of our townships expenses
Maintaining services at lowest possible cost: Ensure that proper bidding and purchases are done with the highest regard for the taxpayer.
Supervision of personnel working for township: Monitor ALL Township employees to ensure the taxpayer is receiving the highest return for their investment.
6. In the coming years, how would you like to see your municipality use its revenue from the impact fee on gas drilling?
Although the impact fees are adversely affecting our tax base, if the fees are not overturned I would like to lower the tax burden on our citizens while continuing to improve infrastructure, roadways, and utility service to residents.
7. What is your philosophy about taxation?
Taxation although necessary, should only be used/set at a level that residents can afford. These fees should be used to provide basic services to residents. Waste of taxpayer dollars should never happen. I will do my best to ensure this never happens during my "watch".
8. How have you been campaigning?
I have talked to local residents and plan to make myself available to anyone who needs my help or who may have questions for me. Many of the local residents already know me and I will always remember that I work for the residents, therefore I will always make time to listen.