Western Bradford Notebook: Canton ready for Scholarship Challenge
In Canton, some dedicated high school seniors been practicing and practicing.
And now they're ready for the Challenge - the Scholarship Challenge.
"Canton Area High School seniors are ready to take to the road on Feb. 16 to take part in the 33rd Annual Scholarship Challenge sponsored by WATS Broadcasting," said the Canton team's advisor, Jeff Wynne, about the team's debut at the competition today.
It's being held in the Patterson Education Building's Auditorium on the Guthrie campus of Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre.
This year, Canton Warrior seniors Emily Ambruch, Vanessa Bonnell, Alyson Clegg, Seth Martin, Anthony Nybeck, and Nick Spano comprise the team.
"These students are looking forward to putting forth their best effort in an attempt to bring the Kwasnoski Cup to Canton," Jeff told me. "The competition is an exciting and fun way for these students to show how they have benefitted from their education."
According to Jeff, the students have practiced for about 40 minutes three times a week for about two to three months.
"This year's team is strong in biology sciences, agricultural knowledge, language arts, and mathematics," he said. "They are very unique individuals who bring various levels of knowledge from a broad background, so I believe we can do well in this year's competition."
Here are biographies of the team members, provided by the district:
- Emily Ambruch is a member of the National Honor Society and Student Council. She likes to challenge herself with AP courses and online course in addition to her usual workload. She plays on the softball team. She currently works at the Subway store in Canton. She plans to attend Lock Haven University with the goal of becoming a Physician's Assistant.
- Vanessa Bonnell is the president of both the National Honor Society and the Canton FFA. Vanessa is active in both of these organizations which she enjoys. With the time left over, she works at a local daycare and loves to write. In the future, she plans to attend Carlow University to major in Biology with a focus on Environmental Science and Management.
- Alyson Clegg is currently a member of the National Honor Society and Student Council. She enjoys "hanging out" with her friends. She plans on attending Misericordia University in the fall to become a Physician's Assistant.
- Seth Martin serves as the FFA vice-president. Seth also wrestles and plays baseball. He enjoys hunting and fishing in his spare time. He is currently employed by Southmont Farms and M & S Erosion Control. In the future, Seth plans to attend college to major in wildlife management.
- Anthony Nybeck has been a member of the National Honor Society for two years. He is the vice president of that group. Anthony is an academic letterman. He has been active in Interactive Media during his entire high school career. He plans on attending Mansfield University in the fall to major in Biology.
- Nick Spano is a member of the National Honor Society, Student Council, Spanish Honor Society, and he has a part-time job with the Rialto Theatre in Canton. He is the captain of the Scholarship Challenge team. Nick enjoys "strategic war simulations" with his friends or video games as they are better known. Nick is going to pursue biology in college, hopefully at Cornell University.
Jeff is hopeful about their chances.
"This group is ready and eager to prove what they can accomplish in this year's competition."
Do you have an idea for the Western Bradford Notebook? You can reach Eric Hrin at (570) 297-5251; email: email@example.com.